Today will be my final email on shock collars but I wanted to share with you some recent news.
The Scottish government recently debated on the use of shock collars.
Despite the huge volume of evidence reinforcing the need to ban electric shock collars and the support of many welfare and veterinary organisations, the Scottish Government have decided to regulate the sale and use of electric training devices rather than banning them.
Anyone wishing to use shock collars has to sit a qualification
This is hugely disappointing but at least a small step in the right direction.
Wales banned the use of electric shock collars back in 2010.
They are also banned in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, Germany and some states in America.
Well, England as always is dragging its feet and has no guidelines in place.
Our animal welfare laws were extremely lenient.
This year in maximum sentence for animal cruelty was increased from six months (I know just six months!!!) to five years.
DEFRA recently undertook studies on electric shock collars. Their findings showed-
• 1 in 4 dogs showed signs of stress compared to less than 5% of dogs in the non-electric shock collar control group
• 1 in 3 dogs yelp at the first use of electric shock collar and 1 in 4 yelp at subsequent uses
• 73% of the public disapprove of the use of electric shock collars on dogs
• 79% of the public agree that positive reinforcement training methods can address behavioural issues in dogs without the need for negative training methods
• 74% of the public would support the government introducing a ban on electric shock
With all of this information and a shift in animal cruelty laws hopefully, the government will at least start talking about electric shock collars and unlike the Scottish government will choose to ban them.
What can you do?
You can take a stand and sign this petition calling on the Scottish Government to ban the shock collar.
It’s time to take a stand for our best friends, loyal companions and sentient beings.
I’ve already signed it.
Here is the link – https://www.change.org/p/the-scottish-government-ban-electric-shock-collars-in-scotland
I am away tomorrow so not daily email until Monday when we will move onto a happier topic.
Have a fantastic weekend whatever you are doing.